The North East VW club was started in 1977 by Gerry Wright (with the help of Ray Christopher who set up Sheffield VWOC then moved to Teesside and ran the North East VW club for 11 years from 1980) with the purpose of providing Classic VW owners and enthusiasts with the opportunity to associate with other enthusiasts in the local area. Meetings were originally held at The Brown Jug, Norton till 1981. Our members come from all over Teesside and sometimes further afield - but anyone & everyone is welcome. Our club is a member of the 'Association of British VW Clubs'
The primary purposes of the club are:
- To have fun with our VW’s and admire others.
- To promote interest in classic VW’s.
- To make owning a VW an enjoyable and proud experience.
- To assist VW owners in the restoration and preservation of their vehicles by providing information, literature, and parts location assistance.
- To raise funds for our selected charities.
These purposes are in keeping with the high standards of VW enthusiasts.